|LETTER TO THE EDITOR
|Year : 2020 | Volume
| Issue : 1 | Page : 58
Topiramate features: Mnemonic
Jamir Pitton Rissardo, Ana Letícia Fornari Caprara
Department of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
|Date of Submission||16-Nov-2019|
|Date of Acceptance||18-Nov-2019|
|Date of Web Publication||04-Mar-2020|
Mr. Jamir Pitton Rissardo
Rua Roraima, Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Rissardo JP, Fornari Caprara AL. Topiramate features: Mnemonic. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res 2020;58:58
We read the article entitled “Aftermath of Topiramate: An Interesting Case Report and Literature Review” on the esteemed “TNOA Journal of Ophthalmic Science and Research” with great interest. Senthilkumar and Rajendrababu reported a patient presenting with bilateral secondary acute angle-closure glaucoma (ACG) with glaukomflecken secondary to topiramate.
Here, we would like to provide the mnemonic “TOPIRAMATE” to help remember the main facts associated with topiramate:,,,,,
- Transient myopic shift normally recovery within 2 weeks
- O (U): Urolithiasis by carbonic anhydrase inhibition (CAi)
- Perioral and peripheral paresthesias are the most common side effects reported by patients and probably associated with low potassium levels due to CAI
- It inhibits CYP 2C19 weak and is induced by phenytoin and carbamazepine
- It reduces high-voltage calcium currents (L-type) and also acts in NMDA channels
- ACG with glaukomflecken and the patient also could develop posterior and anterior synechiae
- Memory impairment and difficulty concentrating and reversible after withdrawal in the majority of the patients
- Acute ACG and panuveitis due to hapten hypothesis inciting immune misleading process
- Teratogenic with urogenital malformations and cleft lip and palate
- Effusions from the uveal region.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
| References|| |
Senthilkumar VA, Rajendrababu S. Aftermath of topiramate: An interesting case report and literature review. TNOA J Ophthalmic Sci Res 2019;57:240. [Full text]
Abtahi MA, Abtahi SH, Fazel F, Roomizadeh P, Etemadifar M, Jenab K, et al
. Topiramate and the vision: A systematic review. Clin Ophthalmol 2012;6:117-31.
Fraunfelder FW, Fraunfelder FT, Keates EU. Topiramate-associated acute, bilateral, secondary angle-closure glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2004;111:109-11.
Garnett WR. Clinical pharmacology of topiramate: A review. Epilepsia 2000;41 Suppl 1:S61-5.
Sankar PS, Pasquale LR, Grosskreutz CL. Uveal effusion and secondary angle-closure glaucoma associated with topiramate use. Arch Ophthalmol 2001;119:1210-1.
Shank RP, Gardocki JF, Streeter AJ, Maryanoff BE. An overview of the preclinical aspects of topiramate: Pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and mechanism of action. Epilepsia 2000;41 Suppl 1:S3-9.